There are a couple of ways to reverse a journal in Microsoft Dynamics AX. One is to use the “Reverse transaction” option from the GL inquiry screens. This is a quick and easy way to reverse entries, but there are many entries which cannot be reversed, and when transactions are reversed, they are automatically posted without being processed by a workflow or an approval group which is a problem for many organizations.
The other option is to use the “Load ledger balances” functionality in the journal screen to load a journal that has already been posted. This is really a copy function that can be used to copy a prior journal with reversed transactions which can then be routed through an approval process.
To copy a journal:
- Create a general journal as you normally would and click Lines
- In the lines form, click on Functions and then select Load ledger balances.
- On the Load ledger transactions form:
- Verify the voucher is set to New voucher number per voucher.
- Click the Invert sign check box if you would like to reverse the journal.
- Click Select
- On the Select screen, enter the Journal number that you would like to reverse or copy and click OK.
- You are now back on the Load ledger transactions screen, click OK.
- Upon clicking OK, AX will load a copy or reversal of the journal you selected in the current journal form. Notice in the case of a reversal, AX inserts the description of Void and the voucher number.
- You can now submit your journal through the review and approval process and post!
This post was written by Matthew Caffrey, AX Application Consultant at Tridea Partners. Tridea is a leading Microsoft Dynamics provider.