Tridea had a request from a customer to help change their Inventory Evaluation Method from Average Perpetual to Standard Cost. This would involve Dynamics GP implementations in three different countries over a weekend for over eight thousand inventory items for each country. When the Evaluation Method is changed in GP you cannot have any allocated transactions for the inventory items. The customer was able to complete all Transfers and Purchase Orders before the conversion weekend; however Sales Orders were a different story. The customer could not close their Sales Orders as they loan out medical devices for surgeries keeping the orders open until a surgery is complete. So in order to process the change in Evaluation Method the lines on the Sales Orders would need to be deleted then added back after the costs and method were updated. Due to the timing and volume of the data, that would not be possible to do manually. Our solution was to create a custom Windows Application that would step the user through the conversion process and automate the changes to the GP data. The Application performed the following tasks:
- Bring in the new Standard Cost from SAP and allow the customer to add any missing costs
- Copy the lines and all related data in the Open Sales Transactions to temp tables
- Delete all the lines on the open Sales transactions through eConnect
- Confirm that no open or allocated inventory transactions existed in GP
- Update the Standard Cost of the inventory items in GP through eConnect with the new Standard Cost brought in from SAP
- Direct the user to switch the evaluation method in GP
- Confirm that all the items were now on Standard Cost
- Direct User to Run the HITB Reset Tool
- Bring the SOP lines and related data back into GP using eConnect and temp tables
The customer was able to run the application for all three countries concurrently. The whole process took about 6 hours per country.
This article was written by Patti Vuz, Dynamics Technical Consultant for Tridea Partners. Tridea is a leading Microsoft Dynamics provider in the United States.